It is often very easy to read about, conceptualize and even teach transformative techniques without ever really applying them yourself. The real work takes place in the rest of your life, when you put that book down, stop thinking about that concept or finish with your lesson. Many times life is simply too busy, too quick or too confusing for us to get a handle on it, no matter how extensive our knowledge of it may be.
For this reason, the simplest advice often stands as the very best — the easier it is to remember, the less difficulty we’ll have integrating it.
Here follows, then, some of the most straight-forward advice on the topic there is to give.
A popular meme online for years, these simple life hacks, originally dubbed ‘The Seven Cardinal Rules’ have no known author, yet serve up some of the very nuts and bolts of life itself for our consideration, and most importantly, our integration.
1) Make peace with your past, so it doesn’t spoil your present. Your past does not define your future – your actions and beliefs in the present moment do.
2) What others think of you is none of your business. It’s how much you value yourself and how important you think you are that truly matters.
3) Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
4) No one is the reason for your own happiness except you, yourself. Waste no time and effort searching for peace, contentment and joy in the world outside. Go within instead.
5) Don’t compare your life with others — you have no idea what their journey is all about. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we would grab ours back as quickly as possible.
6) Stop thinking so much. It’s alright not to know all the answers. Sometimes there is no answer, there will not be any answer, nor will there ever be an answer. That’s the answer! Just accept it and move on!
7) Smile. You don’t own all the problems in the world. A smile can brighten the darkest day and make life more beautiful. It is a potential curve that can turn a life around and begin to set everything straight.