25 Famous Proverbs… As Told By a Class of First Graders.
A first grade teacher presented each child in her class the first half of a well known proverb and asked them to come up with the second half. It’s hard to believe these were actually done by first graders. Their insight and humour may surprise you.
1. You can lead a horse to water but . . . how?
2. Strike while the . . . bug is close.
3. It’s always darkest before . . . daylight savings time.
4. Never underestimate the power of . . . termites.
5. Don’t change horses . . . until they stop.
6. Don’t bite the hand that . . . looks dirty.
7. No news is . . . impossible.
8. A miss is as good as a . . . mister.
9. You can’t teach an old dog new . . . math.
10. If you lie down with dogs, you’ll . . . stink in the morning.
11. Love all, trust . . . me.
12. The pen is mightier than the . . . pigs.
13. An idle mind is . . . the best way to relax.
14. Where there’s smoke there’s . . . pollution.
15. Happy the bride who . . . gets all the presents.
16. A penny saved is . . . not much.
17. Two’s company, three’s . . . the musketeers.
18. Don’t put off till tomorrow what . . . you put on to go to bed.
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and . . . you have to blow your nose.
20. There are none so blind as . . . Stevie Wonder.
21. Children should be seen and not . . . spanked or grounded.
22. If at first you don’t succeed . . . get new batteries.
23. You get out of something only what you . . . see in the picture on the box.
24. When the blind lead the blind . . . get out of the way.
And the best for last…
25. Better late than . . . pregnant.
Source: A popular online anecdote for years, this humorous list’s origins are unknown.