21 Of The Best Wayne Dyer Quotes
There’s a reason they called Wayne Dyer ‘The Father of Motivation’. Though we had known he was aging, and had recently been ill, the news of his passing in August, 2015 was still surprising.
A lifelong proponent of the powers of positive thinking, Dyer always came across as someone who genuinely lived his truth. Indeed, it was his unparalleled, consistent and authentic enthusiasm that made him one of the most popular inspirational speakers and teachers of our time.
His positivity was infectious. Anyone who has ever seen a lecture from him knows this. Putting you back into a place of belief in yourself and then setting you free upon the world to share your gifts was, beyond any doubt, his true gift.
Over the course of his career he gave thousands of talks, wrote over 40 books (including some children’s titles and one of the bestselling books of all time) and undoubtedly changed numerous lives.
A leader in his field, a father, husband and friend to many, he will be sorely missed.
Here, then, are 21 of the best Wayne Dyer quotes, selected just for you 🙂
1) One of the highest places you can get to is being independent of the good opinions of other people.
2) When you squeeze an orange, you’ll always get orange juice to come out. What comes out is what’s inside.
The same logic applies to you: when someone squeezes you, puts pressure on you, or says something unflattering or critical, and out of you comes anger, hatred, bitterness, tension, depression, or anxiety, that is what’s inside.
If love and joy are what you want to give and receive, change your life by changing what’s inside.
3) Deficiency motivation doesn’t work. It will lead to a life-long pursuit of ‘try to fix me’. Learn to appreciate what you have and where and who you are.
4) It’s never crowded along the extra mile.
5) When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.
6) Your relationships are all in how you think about the other people of your life. Your experience of all those people is only in your mind. Your feelings about your lovers come from your thoughts.
For example, they may in fact behave in ways that you find offensive. However, your relationship to them when they behave offensively is not determined by their behavior, it is determined only by how you choose to relate to that behavior.
Their actions are theirs, you cannot own them, you cannot be them, you can only process them in your mind.
7) All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you.
The only thing blame does is to keep the focus off you when you are looking for external reasons to explain your unhappiness or frustration.
You may succeed in making another feel guilty about something by blaming him, but you won’t succeed in changing whatever it is about you that is making you unhappy.
8) Live one day at a time, emphasizing ethics rather than rules.
9) It’s never too late to have a happy childhood.
10) Your children will see what you’re all about by what you live rather than what you say.
11) The next time you are contemplating a decision in which you are debating whether or not to take charge of yourself, to make your own choice, ask yourself an important question, ‘How long am I going to be dead?’
With that eternal perspective, you can now make your own choice and leave the worrying, the fears, the question of whether you can afford it and the guilt, to those who are going to be alive forever.
12) Are you letting your life go by in frustration and worry over not having enough? If so, relax and remember that you only get what you have for a short period of time. When you awaken you will see the folly of being attached to anything.
13) Freedom means you are unobstructed in living your life as you choose. Anything less is a form of slavery.
14) Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored… The concept of boredom entails an inability to use up present moments in a personally fulfilling way.
15) Present-moment living, getting in touch with your now, is at the heart of effective living. When you think about it, there really is no other moment you can live. Now is all there is, and the future is just another present moment to live when it arrives. One thing is certain, you cannot live it until it does appear.
16) There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love; there’s only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.
17) Our lives are a sum total of the choices we have made.
18) Successful people make money. It’s not that people who make money become successful, but that successful people attract money. They bring success to what they do.
19) You’ll seldom experience regret for anything that you’ve done. It is what you haven’t done that will torment you. The message, therefore, is clear. Do it! Develop an appreciation for the present moment. Seize every second of your life and savor it. Value your present moments. Using them up in any self-defeating ways means you’ve lost them forever.
20) When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way.
21) The last suit that you wear, you don’t need any pockets.