Oh, the blissful innocence of childhood. Kids come into this world fully armed with perspective, vulnerability, curiosity, joy, humor, and innate wisdom. And it’s these qualities that often lead them to say some of the most insightful and interesting things.
Wisdom and humor from children is wisdom and humor in its purest and simplest form. Most of the time, its impact is unintentional and comes from a place of thinking and knowing something in a way that has never been forced or imbedded. It’s simply based on an honest and unbiased perception of the world around them.
If you long to reconnect with your inner child, need a whopping dose of reality, or simply want to laugh and say “aww,” prepare to be enlightened by these 32 incredibly wise (and often hilarious) quotes from small children…
1)“If you can’t think of anything nice to say, you’re not thinking hard enough.” ~ Robby, age 8
As opposed to the old saying, “If you can’t think of anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all,” this insightful quote digs deeper into the issue and points out that there is always something nice you can say. If you can’t think of anything, you’ve got some more thinking to do. Allow this truth-bomb to inspire you to be a better person.
2) “If you’re feeling blue, try painting yourself a different color.” ~ Hannah, age 8
It sounds simplistic, but we are ultimately responsible for the attitudes we choose to carry and the colors we choose to paint ourselves. It’s okay to feel blue sometimes, but staying blue and refusing to explore the brighter colors you have access to is your choice. You can spend your time sulking over your current reality, or you can spend your time creating a better one.
3) “If falling in love is anything like learning how to spell, I don’t want to do it. It takes too long.” ~ Glenn, age 7
Don’t worry, Glenn. Falling in love is way better than learning how to spell… although I can’t argue with the fact that actually falling in love with the right person takes a pretty good deal of time. But until then, keep learning how to spell. It’s an attractive skill.
4) “Everybody is born so they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody and being nice, right? Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.” ~ Shane, age 4
While pondering why pets don’t live as long as humans, the above theory was given. I have yet to find a more comforting and inspiring explanation for why we get so little time with the furry members of our family. We can all learn valuable lessons about life and love by observing and cherishing our pets. Their short lives are well lived.
5) “These clothes don’t fit my baby doll yet. I need to wait until she grows a little bigger.” ~ Alyssa, age 5
Life is about perspective. We can choose to negatively declare that inanimate objects such as toys will never grow or interact with us, or we can continue to believe that they will do just that. A life without imagination and optimism is a life I want no part of.
6) “I’m not joking, I’m not kidding, and I’m not playing. I need chocolate.” ~ Sophia, age 3
Chocolate is serious business. And just wait until you’re a grown woman, Sophia. Then it will really be serious business.
7) “I’m trying to be nice, but it’s not working.” ~ Finn, age 3
The struggle is so real.
8) “Old people have really huge CDs that they call records.” ~ Selina, age 6
Face it: if you own or listen to records, you’re pretty old. But at least you have excellent taste.
9) “I can reach high when I’m hungry.” ~ Madison, age 3
This quote was in reference to an incident that involved climbing up the kitchen counter to swipe some powdered doughnuts, but there is a profound lesson to be learned from such a statement. If you want something badly enough, nothing will stop you from getting it. If you’re hungry for something, reach for it.
10) “When I’m too big for you to hold, I’ll hold you instead.” ~ Ashlyn, age 5
We take care of our kids, and then our kids take care of us. It’s a beautiful thing.
11) “Love will find you, even if you are trying to hide from it. I’ve been trying to hide from it since I was five, but the girls keep finding me.” ~ Dave, age 8
It’s true. Love will always find a way. And if you’re as attractive and charming as Dave, it just won’t leave you alone.
12) “I know nothing.” ~ Sadie, age 5
Me neither, Sadie. Me neither.
13) “I was born because I’m awesome.” ~ Isaac, age 8
If you weren’t awesome, you would have never been born. Out of millions of tiny sperm cells, you were the fastest and most important. Think about that.
14) “Love is that first feeling you feel before all the bad stuff gets in the way.” ~ Charlie, age 5
Ain’t that the truth!
15) “Spend most of your time loving instead of going to work.” ~ Dick, age 7
Love should always take priority over work. We all have to work and pay the bills. Money is important. But if it comes before love and family, something is askew.
16) “You really shouldn’t say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.” ~ Jessica, age 8
If someone loves you, they will say it often. They will say it at the end of conversations, whenever they say hello, whenever they say goodbye, just because, and in the midst of times when you need to hear it the most. If you love someone, tell them and tell them often. You can never say it enough.
17) “It is okay to fail, but it is not okay to give up.” ~ Katie, age 8
A little or maybe even a lot of failure is inevitable when pursuing a dream. Those failures don’t define you. How you react to them does.
18) “Someone always needs help.” ~ Sarah, age 10
There is always something you can do to help or be there for another person. At the end of the day, we all need some kind of help. We are not built to carry burdens on our own.
19) “It’s not a good idea to call 911 when there is not an emergency.” ~ Corey, age 7
A word to the wise.
20) “Don’t say you love somebody and then change your mind. Love isn’t like picking what movie you want to watch.” ~ Natalie, age 9
Real love never truly goes away. It becomes a part of you, if only a small and tucked away part of you. So don’t throw it around. It’s too valuable.
21) “You can travel inside a book.” ~ Jameson, age 8
Has there ever been a better description for the joy of reading?!
22) “I come up with ideas from everyday things I see — from a fence, to the flowers behind it, to a huge spiky tree.” ~ Adora, age 8
The world around you is a poem, and you’re writing it every day.
23) “Love is when mommy gives daddy the best piece of chicken.” ~ Elaine, age 5
The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, ladies.
24) “You are not grown up until you run out of birthdays.” ~ Camille, age 7
No matter how old you get, you are never done growing. Therefore, there is no such thing as a “grown-up.” Phew.
25) “Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.” ~ Maura, age 8
Naps make everything better.
26) “Turn your phone off, take your clothes off, and go to bed.” ~ Tiffany, age 4
This quote may not have been said to seem suggestive, but if every couple took this bedtime advice, there would likely be less relationship problems.
27) “I’m done arguing with you.” ~ Mateo, age 3
The only way to finish an argument is to finish it, damn it.
28) “My heart is something. Everybody else’s heart is something too.” ~ Tiana, age 6
Hearts are important and worthy. Treat them as such.
29) “One good friend is better than ten bad ones.” ~ Dante, age 9
Friendship is about quality, not quantity.
30) “You know it was a good day if you didn’t hit or bite anyone.” ~ Nathanial, age 4
Well said, Nathanial.
31) “If you’d just do what I tell you, I wouldn’t have to be so bossy.” ~ Addison, age 4
32) “Don’t look back because you might fall over what is in front of you.” ~ Kate, age 7
When you dwell on the past, you ruin and miss out on what is right in front of you. Keep moving forward, one step at a time.
It’s official. Small children are smarter than us.